The previous article introduced what is silicon carbide, and this day introduced what field silicon carbide is used for?
The four main application areas of silicon carbide
Silicon carbide is mainly used for functional ceramics, advanced refractory materials, abrasives and metallurgical raw materials.
- Silicon carbide is used as an abrasive. Mainly because silicon carbide has high hardness, chemical stability and certain toughness, silicon carbide can be used to manufacture consolidated abrasives, coated abrasives and free grinding, so as to process glass, ceramics, stone, cast iron and Some non-ferrous metals, hard alloys, titanium alloys, high-speed steel tools and grinding wheels.
- Silicon carbide is used as a refractory and corrosion-resistant material. Mainly because silicon carbide has a high melting point (decomposition degree), chemical inertness, and thermal shock resistance, silicon carbide can be used for sheds and saggers in kilns for grinding tools, ceramic products, and vertical cylinders for zinc smelting industry A variety of silicon carbide ceramic products, such as silicon carbide bricks, aluminum electrolytic cell liners, crucibles, and small furnace materials for distillation furnaces.
- Silicon carbide is used as a chemical material. Because silicon carbide can decompose in molten steel and react with the oxygen and metal oxides in the molten steel to form carbon monoxide and silicon-containing slag. Therefore, it can be used as a purifying agent for smelting iron and steel, that is, as a deoxidizing agent for steel making and a structure modifier for cast iron. This generally uses low-purity silicon carbide to reduce costs. At the same time, it can also be used as a raw material for manufacturing silicon tetrachloride.
- Silicon carbide is used as an electrical material. Used as heating element, nonlinear resistance element and high semiconductor material. Heating elements such as silicon carbon rods (applicable to various electric furnaces operating at 1100 to 1500°C), non-linear resistance elements, and various types of lightning protection valves.
- Other applications. It is formulated into far infrared radiation coating or silicon carbide silicon board for far infrared radiation dryer.
New applications of silicon carbide
- The technology development of silicon carbide is accelerating, and alternative technologies are emerging in large numbers. The solar photovoltaic industry is still in a period of rapid growth, with a variety of technologies in fierce competition. At present, crystalline silicon battery occupies a leading position in market share, but other technologies are also rapidly evolving. If the silicon crystal battery is regarded as the first-generation battery technology, there will be second- and third-generation battery technologies such as inorganic thin-film batteries and thin-film batteries in the future. Battery technology will develop towards higher power generation efficiency, which is a trend.
- In the future, silicon carbide is mainly used in semiconductors, lightning rods, circuit components, high-temperature applications, ultraviolet detectors, structural materials, astronomy, disc brakes, clutches, diesel particulate filters, filament pyrometers, ceramic films, cutting tools, Heating elements, nuclear fuel, jewelry, steel, protective gear, catalyst supports and other fields.
- With the improvement of recycling technology, it is possible to achieve a 1:1 ratio of recycled liquid, recycled sand and new liquid and new sand, which greatly reduces the production cost of silicon wafers, making more and more cutting manufacturers Waste mortar recycling is increasingly willing to accept, therefore, this will make the silicon carbide industry face severe challenges.